Haunted Saint George Street
The practice of giving every street its own name is relatively recent. For most of the colonial period, the thoroughfares of St. Augustine were known simply as "the street of the Hospital", or "the street that goes to the barracks". During t he first Spanish Period (1565-1763) the present St. George Street was known as "the street of the governor", or "the street that goes to the land gate". It was not until the British came (1763) that it was named St. George in honor of King George III." [S t. Augustine and the Beaches", May-June 1995, Events magazine, The St. Augustine Record, St. Augustine.
Bisecting the Plaza south and north is St. George Street, and the Old City Gates, the main street of the colonial city. Here one can find many other historic buildings such as De Mesa-Sanchez House (43 St. George Street), the Arrivas House (44 St. George), and the Avero House, now the St. Photios Greek Shrine (37 St. George).In the seventeenth and early eighteenth century, St. George Street was known as San Patricio Street. 1702 - Thirty-one houses were destroyed by the Spanish commander as a strategy to control the Raid of 1702. Many ghosts have been in this area.
Haunted Treasury Street
Treasury Street is one of the curiosities of the town commencing at Bay street it is so very narrow that two people can shake hands across it; proceeding westward it gradually widens until where it runs into Cordova street it is a respectable width.
Haunted buildings line the street resting on the remains of a St Augustine long since dead. Many ghostly encounters happen here at night.
Haunted Flagler College " The Ponce de Leon hotel"
Flagler College, often abbreviated as Flagler, is a private four-year liberal arts college in St. Augustine, Florida, USA. Mr. H. M. Flagler decided to build a winter hotel in St. Augustine; in 1885 the Ponce de Leon was commenced, it was completed in 1887. This magnificent pile is so well known, its broad columned loggias, superb decorations and tasteful furnishings, are of such world-wide reputation, that no further description is necessary; and, indeed, the same remark applies to Mr. Flagler's other hotels, the Alcazar and the Cordova, the former of which was built subsequently, while the latter was purchased from Mr. F. W. Smith. These three splendid structures, with their gardens of palm and other tropical trees and shrubs, their fountains and broad asphalt pavements, tile roofs and Moorish architecture, form a "coup d'œil" which must be see to be appreciated, as must the luxuriousness and comfort of their interiors. The Cordova building has received some alterations since it was built, the lower story having been converted into large roomy stores with modern plate glass fronts.
The school is located on 19 acres, the centerpiece of which is the Ponce de Leon Hall, built in 1888 as a luxury hotel. The architects were John Carrere and Thomas Hastings, working for Henry Morrison Flagler, the industrialist, oil magnate and railroad pioneer. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ghosts of the Ponce de Leon
Many that visit the hotel have claimed to have seen many various apparitions, although none have been positively identified as any specific individual. Many feel that the ghost is one of the guests that stayed during the time that there was an active community of artists living in the city, while others claim that its the ghost of a Coast Guard recruit that died during training.
The Haunted Lightner Museum " The Alkazar Hotel"
In 1883, Henry Flagler (Oil Tycoon) came to the city. He was so impressed that he invested in St. Augustine's restoration and development of the city as a winter resort. Flagler contributed some of the cities grandest architecture, such as the Alcazar hotel (now the Lightner Museum), the Cordova, and the Ponce de Leon (now Flagler College).
Housed in the former Hotel Alczar, built in 1888 by Henry Flagler, relics of America's Gilded Age are elegantly exhibited on the museum's three floors. You will marvel in the elegance of the newly restored ballroom. And it's said to be very haunted!
The Haunted Plaza de Constionial " The Plaza"
The real haunted heart of St. Augustine retains the distinctive plan of a 16th century Spanish Colonial walled town, much of which has been preserved or restored. The numerous remaining colonial buildings circling the Plaza in the historic district present an impressive array of architecture from 1703 to 1898. The Oldest House, located three blocks south of the Plaza at 14 St. Francis Street, is another traditional Spanish Colonial residence built circa 1706 and is the oldest surviving residence in the city's history. This area south of the Plaza is the oldest part of St. Augustine, and there are several other original structures along narrow St. Francis, St. George, Aviles, and Marine Streets. Many are private residences, but some are open to the public.
The Spanish Monument in the Plaza was erected, as the plate on it says, in commemoration of the adoption of the Spanish Constitution in 1812, and is the only memorial of that event left, all the rest having been destroyed on the downfall of the Constitution.Some of the most noted haunted buildings in the district are located on the Plaza de la Constitución, the colonial community's focal point. Here are found the Government House (governor's residence, built 1713), Trinity Episcopal Church (1825), and the Basilica Cathedral of St. Augustine which incorporates the 1797 parish church and is one of the oldest Catholic religious buildings in the U.S.
The Haunted City Gates
The Haunted St. Augustine Lighthouse
The St. Augustine Lighthouse is definitely considered one of the most popular locations when it comes to the most haunted areas of the city. True ghost stories have been documented about this location in popular television shows, and various other types of media all throughout history. Many lives have been lost in and around the area of the St. Augustine Lighthouse. These losses as well as a lot of unexplained phenomenon are the “fuel behind the fire” when it comes to paranormal activity in this location. The following represents some of the paranormal activity that is believed to occur at this location.
In the year of 1873, on the 10th day of July, there was a tragic accident that occurred while the lighthouse was being constructed. Five kids were riding along a type of cart that assisted in bringing in supplies. They fell in the water as a result of the cart breaking. A black girl that is believed to have been a servant, as well as two other girls drowned. Many stories circulate that these girls swing on the swing set on the grounds, can be heard playing and laughing, and can even be seen looking from the windows of the house on the grounds.
A shadow was documented on film moving on the top level of the stairs inside the lighthouse and even in front of the window in the lighthouse. It is believed that this is a spirit of a light keeper that tragically fell from the structure. In addition to this, a woman’s voice was also recorded in digital audio recordings. Many different sounds have been heard in the Museum on the property. None of these sounds seem to be threatening. The employees have different stories when it comes to what they hear, but they are so used to the sounds that they simply overlook them most of the time.
Haunted Castillo de San Marcos
Castillo de San Marcos, or “The Old Fort” to the locals, is rumored to be one of the most haunted places in the entire city. If you are a ghost hunter, or simply want to experience an area that is known for its true ghost stories, a trip to “The Old Fort” is an absolute must! This particular structure was built in an effort to protect and also to act as a form of defense. The first stone to this structure was laid in the year of 1672. On the website that details the architecture of the fort, it states: 'The Castillo de San Marcos' architecture and detail are distinctive and unique. It is the oldest masonry and only extant 17th century fort in North America”
As time progressed, this particular fort stood as a battleground several times. Many sought to defend and overtake the establishment, but none succeeded. When certain groups wanted to ensure their safety, as well as the safety of their families, the walls of this particular fort protected them. This immense structure took a full twenty-three years to build. The construction came to an end in the year of 1695. It was carefully composed of “coquina” which is a native limestone. Various types of sea shells and even bits and pieces of coral are included in the limestone. Three hundred years of battles and violent storms have not shaken the fort.
Many hauntings occur at this location.
In the watch tower that is closest to the road, it is said that a light ignites on nights that are relatively stormy. There is no power going to this particular light. Residents and locals that are familiar with the fort often overlook this unexplained phenomenon, but for the avid ghost hunter, seeing this makes for a remarkable experience.
It is not unusual for a solider that is lavishly dressed in clothing that represents the era of the Spanish to be seen looking out to the vast sea. This is normally experienced when the sun is just starting to rise, or when the sun is setting.
In the dungeon of the fort, many individuals have experienced strange sensations. These sensations include goose bumps, breezes, the feeling of being touched, and many individuals have even experienced physical sickness in the dungeon for no apparent reason.
Many ghost pictures and ghost videos have been taken at this particular monument. It is not uncommon for individuals to capture strange lights, orbs, rods, spheres, and even distinct apparitions composed of strange mists.
There are two other forts in St. Augustine that are also considered to be some of the most haunted places in the city. Fort Mose is in the North area of the city, and Fort Matanzas is in the South area of the city. If you are interested in unexplained phenomenon and real haunted places in America, you should definitely consider a trip to these forts as well.
We recommend taking a ghost tour in St Augustine in a genuine hearse with ghosthearse.com
You can also rent a mobile paranormal lab from paranormallab.com to see all of St Augustine's most haunted locations & investigate yourself like the pro's!
(Tell them Paranormalistics sent you) for a paranormal discount!